1st Annual UCF World Languages Education International and Global Studies Colloquium
1st Annual UCF World Languages Education International and Global Studies Colloquium is jointly sponsored by World Languages Education Student Association (WLESA) and International Affairs and Global Strategies (IAGS) at The University of Central Florida (UCF).
Conference Date and Address:
February 29, 2016
Student Union Pegasus and Cape Florida Ballrooms
University of Central Florida
4000 Central Florida Blvd, Orlando, FL 32816
Deadline for proposals: January 20, 2016
Registration: FREE (Please RSVP here, as the space is limited http://www.eventbrite.com/e/1st-annual-ucf-world-languages-education-international-and-global-studies-colloquium-tickets-19496486516)
Submitting a Proposal
The Conference Committee seeks participants who offer well-considered and reflective analysis or evaluation. Original research, research review, scholarly efforts, eloquent advocacy, or inspiring practice may provide the impetus for the presentation.
The theme of the conference is “Beyond the Borders: Language as a Complex System.” Submissions may address the conference theme or any area related to current and future trends in SLA research including, but not limited to: generative, psycholinguistic, and social approaches; technology in language teaching and learning; and implications of SLA research for instruction.
We seek proposals, both theoretical and empirical, that reflect the differing perspectives and methods currently used in SLA research. The research may be interdisciplinary in nature. Submissions based on pilot studies, pre-dissertation studies, or work-in-progress projects will be considered in addition to completed projects.
- Stephen Krashen (Professor Emeritus at the University of Southern California)
- Kouider Mokhtari (Professor at The University of Texas at Tyler)
- All proposals must be original (i.e., not previously presented in public) and unpublished work.
- Paper presentations will be 25 or 45 min., including a 5-min. discussion period.
- Poster presentations will be displayed at a 45 min. session, during which poster authors will stand by their posters to discuss their work.
- Please submit abstracts by January 20, 2016 to the Conference Coordinator Hilal Peker: Hilal.Peker@ucf.edu (only e-mail submissions are accepted). Notification of acceptance will be sent by January 31, 2016.
Areas of particular interest include, but are not limited to:
- Classroom research
- Second and foreign language pedagogy
- Psycholinguistic approaches to SLA
- Generative second language acquisition (syntax, phonology, semantics)
- Heritage language acquisition
- Language, culture, socialization, and pragmatics
- SLA, Identity, and Motivation
- Learner corpora and SLA
- Testing and assessment
- Analysis of discourse and interaction
- Computer-assisted language learning (CALL)
- Second and foreign language policy
- Sociocultural approaches to language learning
Please adhere to the following format:
In the body of the email message, please include all of the following information in the following order:
- Title of presentation (maximum 10 words)
- Presenter’s name (family, given)
- Department & affiliation
- Complete mailing address
- Phone number
- Preferred e-mail address for correspondence
- Summary of the presentation, with a clear theoretical or empirical focus (max. 50 words). This summary will be included in the program booklet and cannot be revised.
In the body of the email message, please also indicate how you would like your abstract to be considered:
- Presentation OR poster
- Presentation only
- Poster only
Please include an abstract as an attachment. The attachment must be a Microsoft Word document only and may not exceed 300 words. Please place the title as the first line of the document. Neither your name nor your institution’s name should appear in the abstract.
Evaluation of Proposals:
- Choice and clarity of topic, perspective, and/or method
- Quality of research
- Contribution to field, originality
- Relevance to current issues in SLA
Please contact Hilal.Peker@ucf.edu with your questions.
Conference Organizing Committee:
- Joyce Nutta, Ph.D.
- Michele Regalla, Ph.D.
- Hilal Peker, M.A.
- Alex Davies-Holmes, M.A.